- Nova Terra comes under the control of crime lord Fagin, with wrangler Malcolm Kelerchian seeking to conscript her into the Ghost Program.
- The Colonial Fleet and Confederate Army are dispatched to reclaim Antiga Prime. However, the Sons of Korhal retain control of the planet.
- February 7: Delta Squadron arrives at Antiga Prime, blockading the SOK position. Sarah Kerrigan and Michael Liberty succeed in planting a psi emitter in the Delta Squadron base camp, luring thousands of zerg to the planet, supplementing the ones that are already there. Confederate forces are either wiped out or are forced to retreat to Halcyon. Protoss ships arrive shortly afterwards and engage the zerg in space combat.
- In the last hours of the planet, Raynor leads a mission to save some colonists, aided by Tassadar. They succeed and the Sons of Korhal depart the planet for Tarsonis. In the wake of the evacuation, Mengsk sends out a message to all the remaining terran worlds. Not long after this, the protoss sterilize the planet.
- 02/??/'00:The Sons of Korhal take control of the Terran Confederacy world of Atticus Minor. The planet is then invaded by the zerg, which the Sons of Korhal engage in combat with.[note 1]
- February 10: Ghost Program Director Ilsa Killiany makes it clear to Kelerchian that unless he finds Nova, he’s in for trouble.
- 02/??/'00: Confederate official Tamsen Cauley dispatches the War Pigs, a band of indentured soldiers, to kill Arcturus Mengsk at Atticus Minor. The attempt is a failure.
- 02/??/'00:Kehl sells her phone to Pix so that she can buy hab.
- February 13: Kehl finishes her latest job for Getreu.
- February 17: Kehl sees Harold about getting some more hab.
- Kelerchian is summoned to Killiany to account for his inability to find Nova. Claiming that he’d need an army to do so he’s given such a thing, namely the 22nd Confederate Marine Division (aka the “Annihilators”) under Major Esmerelda Ndoci. Soon after he’s contacted by Officer Larry Fonseca, who tells him that a blonde has been seen working for Fagin. Kelerchian heads off to Fonseca’s apartment in order to get more info, hoping that he can come up with a plan that doesn’t involve “Major Disaster” wiping out the entire Gutter.
- Business as usual occurs at Fagin’s place, or at least what has become usual for the last several months—subordinates are executed, Nova freaks out Markus Ralian with her telepathy, along with Kehl, etc. Unable to take it Ralian heads home, taking Kehl with him.
- Fonseca tells Kelerchian about Fagin, about how he runs the Gutter.
- Ralian contacts Sergeant Morwood about Fagin, realizing that the psi screen he’s been wearing for the last few months is eating away at his brain (it shouldn’t be worn for more that seven hours at a time), thus explaining the psychosis. He resolves to see Fagin about it.
- Kelerchian and the marines board a Valkyrie at Holyktown, flown by Lieutenant Commander Fleet, medic Sergeant Scheeler being her co-pilot. They fly to the Gutter. They arrive in time to find Marcus confronting Fagin. Nova comes out to see and, taking advantage of Fagin’s distraction, telekinetically controls Markus to shoot his boss. She reads Kelerchian’s mind about the Ghost Program and accepts, wanting to have her memories erased. However, the Annihilators, having been ordered by General Ledbetter to extract Nova by any means necessary. They bring the building down in their rampage, killing Markus and severely injuring Kelerchian.
- The Sons of Korhal arrive at Tarsonis. The planet's orbital defences are breached and teams are sent planetside.
- February 18: Word of Tarsonis's fall reaches Tyrador IX. The children of the Old Families are subsequently evacuated to Shi.
- The protoss arrive at Tarsonis and proceed to engage the zerg. Fearing that the Confederates will be able to escape, Arcturus Mengsk sends Lieutenant Sarah Kerrigan planet-side to engage them. Raynor and Liberty attempt to go after her, but are slowed down by Duke, gloating at the chance to use this ‘mutiny’ against them. They manage to get past him though.
- Protoss, zerg and SOK forces duke it out above the planet as Raynor and Liberty reach New Gettysburg, after hearing Kerrigan’s request for an evac due to zerg forces overrunning their positions. They’re able to save some of the soldiers, both SOK and Confederate, but Kerrigan is MIA, presumed dead. In reality, she’s captured by the zerg and entombed in a chrysalis.
- Raynor breaks away from the Sons of Korhal, his forces taking out the Ion Cannon, thus allowing them to escape. Liberty meanwhile goes freelance, determined to get the real story out.
- A new cerebrate is created by the Overmind to watch over the chrysalis. Under the tutelage of fellow cerebrates Daggoth and Zasz, it deals with some Omega Squadron remnants.
- Raynor's Raiders "raid" the Dylarian Shipyards, acquiring a number of Terran Dominion vessels along with the Hyperion. The Dominion thus suffers its first major defeat-even before its official formation.
- Kelerchian awakens on the Pasteur. He is debriefed by Director Kevin Bick, head of the Terran Dominion's version of the Ghost Program.
- Arcturus Mengsk officially declares the Terran Dominion, inaugurated as Emperor Arcturus I.[note 2]
- On Ursa, Kelerchian begins physical therapy to regain the use of his legs while Nova begins training under Sergeant Hartley.
- Terran, zerg and protoss forces battle over the Argus Stone. It falls into the hands of the Swarm and is transported to Char.[note 3]
- Early: After six weeks of nightmares due to Kerrigan’s psionic prowess, Raynor realizes that she’s on Char. He sets off after her, with the Raiders in tow.
- Alpha Squadron forces led by Duke arrive at Char and proceeds to engage the zerg. They suffer heavy casualties upon landing and are forced to retreat.
- Day 1, Char Campaign: Raynor and co. arrive at Char. After a confrontation with Duke, Raynor takes his troops down to the surface, learning from Lieutenant Matt Horner that the protoss have arrived as well. Regardless, they make their way to Kerrigan, but arrive too late to prevent her rebirth into the Swarm. Only Raynor and a few others survive the ordeal.
- Kerrigan takes a zerg force with her and attacks the science vessel Amerigo, hoping to gain access to the old Ghost Program files and thus undo the psychic dampening installed. Boarding it via a terran shuttle and doing the same to Duke and Raynor’s ships, she achieves her goals. The zerg overrun almost all the ships, both those of Raynor and Duke. Duke manages to escape in the Norad III and Matt Horner is able to make an emergency warp jump in the Hyperion, but few ships make it down to the surface. Raynor links up with the survivors.
- Day 2, Char Campaign: The Raiders fan out, looking for signs of possible food or water. Raynor goes it alone and sees a protoss ship land, captained by Tassadar. They come to a mutual agreement, that Raynor will watch out for Kerrigan but not engage her. That’s Tassadar’s job.
- Both the terrans and protoss send out their scout parties, occassionly encountering each other but passing by without incident. Tassadar, an entourage of protoss and Raynor head off to find Kerrigan. However, she’s learned of the protoss’s arrival and confronts Tassadar herself. After a battle of words, Tassadar retreats with his forces, Kerrigan leading her own in pursuit, playing right into Tassadar’s hands. Ignored by both parties, Raynor makes his way back to the base camp.
- Day 3, Char Campaign: Lieutenants Abernathy and Deke Cavez make their report to Raynor on their situation. Assigning them their respective tasks, Raynor heads out to find the protoss.
- Day 5, Char Campaign: After two days of travel, Raynor finds the protoss base camp. Raynor watches on.
- Day 6, Char Campaign: The protoss move out and engage a force of Kerrigan’s zerg. The protoss inflict disproportionate casualties but soon retreat from the battlefield, Kerrigan leading her forces in pursuit. Soon after, Raynor sees another ship land, a group of Dark Templar led by Zeratul emerging. Zeratul assassinates Zasz, sending the Garm Brood into a frenzy.
- Day 7, Char Campaign: Raynor briefs Cavez and Abernathy on what he’s seen. He prepares to set out again.
- Day 8, Char Campaign: Raynor sets out and comes across Kerrigan and a force of zerg. Daggoth contacts Kerrigan, telling her about Zasz’s death, and due to the energy wielded by the Dark Templar, the Overmind is unable to resurrect him. As a result, the Garm Brood has gone on a rampage. Kerrigan continues her hunt for Tassadar while zerg forces eradicate the Garm Brood.
- Kerrigan soon finds Tassadar, the two forces confronting each other in a valley with Raynor looking on. Tassadar and Kerrigan duel, the Queen of Blades gaining the upper hand, mirroring the situation on the battlefield as a whole. Courtesy of a distraction by Raynor, the protoss are able to escape. Enraged, Kerrigan sets after them, summoning reinforcements to boot.
- Kerrigan later encounters Zeratul, her fight with Tassadar being mirrored. Once again however, the protoss are able to escape.
- Daggoth contacts Kerrigan, stating that the Garm Brood has been eradicated and the protoss ships have been destroyed. Immediately afterwards, the Overmind contacts the Swarm as a whole, stating that Zeratul's mind connected with his when he assassinated Zasz, allowing the Overmind to learn the location of Aiur. It gleefully declares that the zerg will soon assault Aiur directly. Kerrigan however, opts to stay behind, wishing to ‘punish’ the protoss who dared set foot upon "their world". The Overmind agrees, but orders Kerrigan to journey to Aiur as soon as her business is complete.
- Kerrigan's cerebrate eradicates a significant portion of Dark Templar, even claiming the Khalis crystal. However, both it and the crystal are left behind as the bulk of the Swarm travels to Aiur.
- Day 9, Char Campaign: Arriving back at camp in the early morning, having seen and heard all that has transpired, an exhausted Raynor collapses into sleep. After sleeping through most of the day, Raynor briefs Cavez and Abernathy. He orders them to stockpile weapons and equipment so they can be ready to move at a moment’s notice. In the meantime, he’ll head off to try and secure an alliance with the protoss-either group.
- Day 15, Char Campaign: After nearly a week of searching, Raynor and his fellow scouting soldiers find the protoss-both groups of them facing off. As per the tenets of the Khala, Tassadar considers Zeratul and the Dark Templar heretics and duels his counterpart. Their warriors follow suit. The confrontation is broken off by the arrival of the zerg however. Tassadar leads his warriors into battle, despite the suicidal odds. Raynor reveals himself and convinces Zeratul that they have to retreat. Zeratul convinces Tassadar likewise and the protoss, along with Raynor and his companions, break away, Kerrigan’s taunts and threats ringing in their ears, especially the claim that Aiur is under attack by the zerg, its location supplied by what she implies to be Zeratul.
- Raynor contacts Cavez, ordering him to move out and head for the mountains. However, before they can do so, they come under attack by the zerg. Raynor tells them to dig in while he and the protoss come to aid them. They eventually arrive, finishing off the rest of the zerg. The terrans and protoss set off together for the mountains, despite the misgivings of some of Raynor’s men. They set up camp in the mountains.
- Day 18, Char Campaign: Raynor confronts the misgivings of his men, telling them to at least consider the protoss as allies, if not friends. It’s just as well, considering that a zerg force is closing in on their position. They decide to set up an ambush and thus whittle the Swarm’s numbers. The ambush works perfectly and all of the zerg are killed. They move out to another location, knowing that the rest of the Swarm will soon arrive. This sets the scene for the course of events over the next week. All those present start acting on more friendly terms.
- Day 27, Char Campaign: The zerg invade Aiur, launching a massive assault across the entire planet that catches the protoss by surprise. Key to the assault is the force lead by the Overmind's new cerebrate, which is sent to recover one of the khaydarin crystals. The zerg reach the crystals and despite a fierce protoss counterattack, it's able to be harvested. The zerg are then sent to the site of a protoss temple, the site where the xel'naga first set foot upon the planet. The zerg are to destroy it, for it is only on this site that the Overmind can make itself manifest. Despite fierce protoss resistance, the temple is destroyed and the khaydarin crystal planted. Using the crystal's power, the Overmind embeds itself in the very crust of the planet.
- Day 29, Char Campaign: Two days after the zerg invasion, Executor Artanis is greeted by Judicator Aldaris. He is dispatched to Antioch to strengthen its defences, currently commanded by Praetor Fenix, who's withstood numerous zerg assaults over the last two days.
- Day 30, Char Campaign: With Artanis and his reinforcements, the protoss defenders are able to hold the line.
- Tassadar, courtesy of Zeratul’s powers, contacts Aldaris and Artanis on Aiur, informing them that killing the Cerebrates could be the key to defeat the zerg. Despite Aldaris' misgivings due to Tassadar’s affiliation with the Dark Templar, he agrees to the proposal. Artanis will lure the zerg forces out, while Fenix preps his own warriors in order to assassinate the Cerebrate. Zeratul however has his misgivings, unsure if Templar energy will be truly able to harm the cerebrates. Tassadar’s curiosity spikes at this and asks to be taught about the history and powers of the dark templar. Zeratul agrees.
- The Old Family children arrive at Shi. However, they find the mining station to be derelict.[note 4]
- Day 32, Char Campaign: The zerg attack again, but the combined protoss and terran forces are able to fend them off. They relocate to another valley.
- Day 33, Char Campaign: Zeratul resumes his history lessons.
- Day 45, Char Campaign: Zeratul reveals to Raynor the truth of his nightmares, how it’s Kerrigan filtering away elements of her former psyche. As a result, a faint band of psionic ‘light’ exists between them, allowing the protoss to gauge how far away Kerrigan is.
- Day 48, Char Campaign: Tassadar completes the Shadow Walk, officially becoming recognised as a Dark Templar, albeit keeping his original status. The zerg attack immediately afterwards, but are beaten back, thanks in no small part due to Tassadar’s new powers. Raynor ‘hears’ an overlord and knows that they have to move out. Revealing this to those assembled, they resolve to use this ability to their advantage.
- Day 50, Char Campaign: At the end of the day, Zeratul, Raynor and Tassadar have devised their plan to attack Kerrigan.
- The plan is executed; Raynor lures Kerrigan in by using the dreams to his advantage, luring the zerg into a valley. Their scouting overlord is immediately taken out, allowing Kerrigan to think that they’re located there in force. She sends virtually her whole brood against them, but finds the valley empty. It’s at this point that Tassadar and Zeratul, who have sneaked into the now virtually empty caves where the Cerebrate is, kill it, sending the zerg into a frenzy. As this happens, the terrans and protoss spring their trap, revealing themselves and mowing down the zerg. Kerrigan however, manages to prevail even when Raynor, Tassadar and Zeratul attack her at once. She escapes with the remains of her Brood. Zeratul and the Dark Templar meanwhile depart.
- Aldaris and Artanis arrive at Char, accompanied by an entourage of protoss warriors. Aldaris declares that they’re here to arrest Tassadar. Much against his will, Artanis is forced to comply. Tassadar is willing to submit himself before the Conclave, but asks that he be allowed to find Zeratul and the Dark Templar first. Much to Aldaris’s disgust, Artanis agrees to support him. At the same time, Raynor receives a transmission from Horner, who’s arrived in the Hyperion. Raynor resolves to see things through to the end and agrees to help Tassadar and Artanis.
- One hour later, Aldaris contacts Artanis, ordering that he abandon his "mad scheme". Ultimately however, Artanis sides with Tassadar in his search for the Dark Templar.
- Zeratul and the Dark Templar are rescued from the zerg. They agree to accompany Tassadar back to Aiur.
Char Campaign Ends
- June 7: Tensions run high in light of Colin Phash's psychic abilities. The zerg renew their assault. In the end, Colin and his father, Corbin are the only survivors.
- June 8: Colin and Corbin reunite.
- Tassadar and his followers make landfall on Aiur, greeted by a rejuvenated Fenix. The Conclave is less welcoming however, and battle begins between those who follow Tassadar and those who follow the Conclave's will.[note 5] Eventually, Tassadar gives himself up to the Conclave in order to avoid further bloodshed. In the aftermath, Zeratul and his Dark Templar disappear.
- With the aid of Raynor, Tassadar's followers rescue him from the Conclave. In the aftermath, Zeratul reveals himself, telling the protoss of the zerg's motives.
- The protoss launch an assault on the zerg hive clusters, Zeratul assassinating a pair of Cerebrates. The way to the Overmind is laid bare.
- In one last battle, Tassadar, Raynor, Zeratul and those who follow them throw everything they have at the Overmind and its forces. Through Tassadar's final sacrifice, the Overmind is slain. The Great War ends, the survivors being left to ponder the cost.
- On Char, Kerrigan senses the destruction of the Overmind. She begins plans for her ascension.
- By this stage, Nova has progressed further in the Ghost Program in six months than most others have in a year.
- Wrangler Malcolm Kelerchian is assigned to bring in a telepath by Arcturus Mengsk, hoping that he turns up dead in the process. On the eve of his departure, Kelerchian and Nova give their final farewells.
- A drop pod seeds Shi with a zerg drone, courtesy of Arcturus Mengsk wishing to eradicate the Old Families. A colony is established on the planet.
- The zerg come into contact with the terrans on Shi, resulting in casualties for the latter species.
- An alliance between the UED Expeditionary Fleet and the Confederate Resistance Forces led by Lieutenant Samir Duran, defeats the Dominion city of Boralis, Braxis. Before the rest of the Dominion becomes aware of the battle, tac-teams decrypt the computer codes, giving the UED and Confederates access to Mengsk's information, such as his schedule. A Confederate team led by Captain Angelina Emillian tries to kill Arcturus Mengsk, who is in a vulnerable position on Umoja at the time.[note 7]
- Early: The Brood War ends, Kerrigan having gained complete dominion over the zerg. Despite this, she is unable to shake the feeling that another threat lurks beyond her sight. Regardless, she begins preparing for the trials yet to come.
- The terrans on Shi counterattack. However, the zerg prove too numerous and only the Old Family children remain. They begin rigging BDE drills as weapons.
- December: The Old Family children take the fight to the zerg, but as before, the aliens are too many. Only a few escape to safe haven, including the Kusinis Twins. They begin broadcasting a distress signal.
The general timing of these events are known, but not exactly.
- Alpha Squadron forces are ordered to deal with notorious pirate Alan Schezar. They discover that the pirate has taken control of zerg through its cerebrate. Praetor Mojo contacts them and urges the terrans not to destroy the cerebrate, as it would drive the zerg insane and allow Schezar to escape in the chaos. The commander disobeys Mengsk's orders and rescues the protoss in return for their aid.
- Mojo is rescued along with the Danimoth and Warbringer. They subsequently head for Aiur to where Schezar has established himself in an old protoss fortress.
- Schezar's pirates and zerg are destroyed by the combined forces, though Schezar himself is never found. This occurs after the Fall of Tarsonis, but at some point after the original skirmishs with Schezar, with the zerg on Aiur at this point, yet the Conclave still in control.
- Various battles are fought during the Brood War. Sites of these battles include Urthos III, Graschek, Anselm, and an area referred to as the Abattoir.
The following section contains timeline information which isn't necessarily in chronological order.
- Valerian Mengsk and his mother continue drifting between various Umojan moons and the few space platforms not destroyed in the Brood War.
- Colin Phash goes on the run from the Dominion who wants him for his psionic powers while his father Corbin seeks asylum in the Umojan Protectorate.
- Colin is eventually conscripted into the Ghost Program while his father and Minister Jorgensen plan to expose the program's true nature.
- Corbin Phash continues to be an outspoken opponent of the Terran Dominion. In response, a Dominion ghost is sent to assassinate him (and fails). Meanwhile, Colin Phash is inducted as a ghost trainee, undergoing a memory wipe.
Earlier figures are recorded below:
- Six months between Nova's enslavement by Fagin/the start of Kelerchian's search for her and the Fall of Tarsonis were retconned to be much shorter (approximately one and a half months) by StarCraft: Book 1.
- The dates April 23rd and May 5th have been given for the UED's capture of the Overmind and its victory report respectively. However, these are dates from a UED-specific calendar (in which the year 2500 is listed as "872") used by the report.
- Arcturus Mengsk carries out an overhaul of the Ghost Program, namely the termination of half its agents. (Previous information had established this date as 2502 or later.)
- January 3, 2500: Raynor allies with Tassadar on Antiga Prime.
|The next article in this series is 2501.|