- February 6: The Players' Club pirates try to sabotage a Kel-Morian Combine operation on Chanuk. With the aid of the Dominion Marine Corps, the plan is foiled.
The following section contains timeline information which isn't necessarily in chronological order.
Note that the following events all take place prior to October of this year.
- Augustgrad is bombarded for two days by a song titled Wings of Liberty. It comes to be a hit among the Kel-Morian Combine.
- As Alien Enigmas nears release, Jake Ramsey releases an audio fragment of protoss music in order to promote the digi-tome. He later speculates that the protoss on Shakuras are embracing change to ensure that the world does not meet the same fate as Aiur.
- The Dominion Armed Forces undertake a trio of emergency drills to assess response times and defensive capabilities.
- Michael Liberty sends a message to Jim Raynor. It is intercepted and analyzed by Dominion officials.
- Zeratul's journeys take him to Ulaan, Zhakul and Aiur, decrypting a xel'naga prophecy that hints of a dark future. Through the spirit of Tassadar, he learns of the impending threat to the galaxy, and that Kerrigan, who is also aware of the coming threat, is the only one that can prevent annihilation.
- The Dominion has begun excavations of an alien artifact on Mar Sara. The process goes on until October.
- Jim Raynor visits the ruins of his old home on Mar Sara. Simultaneously, the Dominion Armed Forces carry out an annexation of the planet, raising tensions among its citizens.
- After a recent episode of Dominion exploitation on Mar Sara, the Raiders carry out an attack on the Dominion Outpost there.
- Tychus Findlay contacts Jim Raynor on Mar Sara, the pair engaging in a business partnership in retrieving alien artifacts for the Moebius Foundation. One such artifact is recovered from the Dominion.
- In response to the raid on the artifact, the Dominion declares martial law on Mar Sara, claiming that the retrieval of the artifact was a raid led by insurgents to claim bio-weapons. Kate Lockwell reports on the incident.
- The zerg invade Mar Sara, landing at the artifact's dig site. The Raiders hold out long enough for extraction by the Hyperion.
- Simultaneously, the Queen of Blades led a zerg attack on several Terran Dominion worlds, beginning the Second Great War. Arcturus Mengsk withdraws his forces to protect the Core Worlds, leaving the Fringe Worlds to fend for themselves.
- October 6: The Raiders recover a zerg tissue sample.
- October 7: The Raiders acquire a second alien artifact piece on Monlyth from a Tal'darim base, beating out zerg forces dispatched there for the same purpose by Kerrigan.
- 10/??/'04: Zeratul confronts Raynor on the Hyperion, giving him an Ihan crystal, explaining his previous encounter with Infested Kerrigan and knowledge of the xel'naga.
- Stardate 282-5837-73: The Raiders investigate a Dominion space platform orbiting Castanar. It is revealed that research into protoss-zerg hybrids is being carried out.
- After weeks of star trekking, the retrieval of artifacts leads the Raiders to an alliance with Valerian Mengsk, who intends to use them to deinfest Sarah Kerrigan. The final artifact is retrieved from the Sigma Quadrant Worldship and the path to Char lies open.
- Valerian Mengsk's Dominion fleet and Raynor's Raiders invade Char. After long and bloody combat, the xel'naga artifact is successfully activated, de-infesting Kerrigan.
- Arcturus Mengsk and the rest of the Dominion Armada arrive, intending to terminate Kerrigan. Valerian and Raynor flee with her, sparking a small scale civil war. Due to her illness, they meet up with Dr. Emil Narud, head of the Moebius Foundation to try to treat her. However, Narud betrays them and makes common cause with Emperor Mengsk. He escapes with the artifact, while Raynor and Valerian escapes, taking Kerrigan to a secret Umojan Protectorate laboratory.
- For over two weeks, Valerian subjects Kerrigan to a number of tests, seeing how she reacts to stimuli.
- Three weeks after the Battle of Char, Dominion forces track down the Raiders and Kerrigan. Raynor is captured and Kerrigan is separated from the Raiders. With nothing left save vengeance, she starts reforming the Swarm to achieve vengeance against Mengsk.[note 1]
|The next article in this series is 2505.|
- ↑ A number of sources listed the events of Heart of the Swarm as occuring in 2506. However, the game's prologue establishes that it begins 3 weeks after the end of Wings of Liberty. However, how much of its storyline bar the original three missions actually occurs in this year is nebulous, as it would have to begin in late November at the earliest. While cross-referencing with other sources confirms the game ends in 2505, how much of its events take place in each year is nebulous.