Adjutants, often simply addressed as "computer", (though actually humanoid hardware) are a form of artificial intelligence utilized by the terrans of the Koprulu sector and the United Earth Directorate. Significant portions of the original ATLAS coding and functionality still exist in them. Their functions include navigation, administration, decryption, presenting history, acting as advisers for terran commanders, storing recipes and storing data. When playing an audio feed, their eyes change color in accordance with speaker.
In the past, adjutants were cybernetic, possessing organic components. In contrast, modern adjutants are synthetic.
- The adjutant portrait is available in StarCraft II upon completion of the Mar Sara Mastery achievement.
- Early in the development of StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm, Izsha used to be an adjutant, from an era where they were cybernetic rather than synthetic. Her organic components allowed her to be infested by the zerg. Her backstory was later changed to be the remnants of Amanda Haley, a psychic medic.
- In the tutorial screen of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, if the player waits long enough after completing all the tutorials, the adjutant will say "I want to be the commander. I also want legs."
If a player waits long enough in the briefing of Boot Camp, an adjutant will ask the magistrate if he's all right. Eventually, the adjutant will deliver a recipe for Chinese lemon chicken, which is as follows:
- 1 pound sliced chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon of corn starch
- 3 teaspoons of soy sauce (dark)
- 1 sliced lemon