This article concerns unit lore. You may be looking for:
4 engines (most, if not all classes)
560 metres/1,827 feet (Gorgon-class)
82.4 metres/240 feet (Gorgon-class)
Yes (warp space)
The battlecruiser is a type of terran capital ship employed in the Koprulu Sector. Battlecruisers were employed during the Guild Wars when space engagements were fought by capital ships and medium-sized gunships. The development of anti-capital ship starfighters, such as Wraiths, did not spell the end of battlecruisers. The large warships adapted to carry strike craft which augmented and complemented the combat value of both. Battlecruisers continue to be an integral part of terran space forces as general purpose warships and command ships during extended campaigns.
Battlecruisers stem as far back as the early days of the Terran Confederacy. While there are many classes of battlecruisers, all are armed with lasers and protected by neosteel armor. Gravity accelerators are also found on all battlecruisers.
Battlecruisers use force fields for protection, but because they consume vast amounts of energy, these are only used when a battlecruiser is vulnerable, such as leaving warp space or entering an atmosphere. Otherwise the battlecruiser relies on its heavy armor for protection.
Battlecruisers are sometimes referred to as "battleships".
The Leviathan-class was uncommon at the start of the 26th century, having largely been supplanted by the Behemoth-class. The Leviathan could travel in warp space. Auxiliary craft docked at hydraulic ports. The ports were perilously close to the bridge, making the class vulnerable to enemy boarding actions.
The Behemoth-class was the most common type during the Great War, representing a noticeable improvement over the Leviathan. It can travel through warp space, operate within atmospheres and land on planetary surfaces. The Hyperion, a souped-up Behemoth, can make warp jumps from within planetary atmospheres. Second Great War-era Behemoths had crews of 6000.
The class is armed with burst laser batteries and nuclear warheads. Older ships did not have side firing arcs for the laser batteries. The batteries were also vulnerable to interceptors. The warheads were reserved for orbital bombardment rather than for space combat. The Yamato cannon entered service aboard the Behemoth before the Great War. Battlecruisers received the Colossus reactor to better meet the cannon's enormous energy requirements.
The Hercules-class entered service after the Brood War. The Hercules can be equipped with plasma torpedoes for saturation ground bombardment. Like the Yamato cannon, the plasma torpedo system also had a large enemy requirement.
Minotaurs can be upgraded with a variety of tactical systems. This includes the Type-V Yamato cannon, energy shields, anti-aerospace missile pods, and a defensive matrix. By Armageddon, terran engineers had been able to devise new technology for the ship, allowing it to teleport across great distances.
In 2503, Dominion Minotaurs were suddenly withdrawn to be refitted for interatmospheric combat at Korhal IV. The battlecruisers were ordered to abandon their current assignments, disembark passengers and cargo on nearby habitable worlds, and proceed immediately to the Dominion capital.
|Power||Class 10 Fusion|
|Shield||Active for Warp and Orbital Insertion|
|Range||Variable; Standard Equip: Koprulu Sector|
|In-System Speed||1 AU per Cycle|
- For StarCraft gameplay information see: Battlecruiser (StarCraft).
- For StarCraft in-game quotations see: StarCraft Battlecruiser Quotations.
This article or section contains information about StarCraft: Ghost, which has been declared non-canon. Elements may be taken as 'flavor lore' however.
|Terran Units and Weapons of StarCraft: Ghost|
- For StarCraft II gameplay information see: Battlecruiser (StarCraft II).
- For StarCraft II in-game quotations see: StarCraft II Battlecruiser Quotations.
- Main article: List of battlecruisers
- Gray Tiger
- Huey Long
- Iron Fist
- Jackson V
- Theodore G. Bilbo
Other or unknown classes
- Aleksander (UED flagship)
- Iron Justice
- Jackson's Revenge
- The Kimera
- Kimeran Juggernaut
- Loki (Super-class)
Known Battlecruiser Commanders
- Admiral Gerard DuGalle
- General Edmund Duke
- General Arcturus Mengsk
- General Horace Warfield
- Colonel Alexander Davidoff
- Commodore Georg Darabont
- Captain Bolshev
- Captain Buzan
- Captain Robert Mason
- Captain Matt Horner
- Captain Roger Merriman
- Captain Jim Raynor
- Captain Rourke
- Captain Elias Tudbury
- Captain Everett Vaughn
- Colonel Jackson Hauler
- Commander Hale
- Commander Haley
- Major Tom Hawkins
- Major Spaulding
- El Kang the Quixotic
- Most battlecruiser classes share their designations from various mythologies—the Leviathan and Behemoth are of the Bible, while Hercules, the Minotaur and the Gorgon stem from Greek mythology.
- A Behemoth-class battlecruiser was stated as being two "leagues" long in StarCraft: Uprising. Most league measurements would have put the battlecruiser as over 9 km in length. However, the Bucephalus, a Gorgon model, measured 560 meters long, a significantly shorter measurement. In addition, the Bucephalus is explicitly stated as being larger than the Hyperion in other media. There is no indication that Gorgon battlecruisers are significantly different in size than Behemoths, so this article treats the league measurement as an error.
- Mega Bloks plans to make 3,000 battlecruiser models as part of its StarCraft toyline. A poll has been opened as to which model(s) fans would like to see them represent.
- "Super-battlecruisers" are designated as such, without the "class" designation. This may be indicative of an different type of ship altogether. However, it has been listed on this page to avoid a stub article.
- The Gorgon-class battlecruiser's appearance differs between Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm. In the former, it is represented by the Bucephalus, which appears identical to the Minotaur class (and was only confirmed as being of the Gorgon-class in Flashpoint). In Heart of the Swarm, Gorgons appear identical to super battlecruisers, albeit much larger.
|Terran Aerospace Craft|