Broodlings are small but vicious and upon hatching, will attack any nearby enemies, attacking them until either they or the broodlings are destroyed. In the event that there are no nearby enemies, they await commands from a higher strain. Their effectiveness is primarily compromised, however, by their very limited lifespans.
Broodlings were originally grown from globs of spores launched from queens. These spores attempted to 'fertilize' any organic matter they came into contact with and were capable of eating through even the armored hulls of vehicles to reach the occupants within. If these spores made contact with an organic being, they forced the organism to metabolize, serving as the breeding ground for a near instantaneous metabolization and birth of a pair of broodlings. The explosive birth was fatal to the host.
The newest generation of broodlings are spawned from the brood lord. They are grown in sacs attached to the creature's body, which are capable of rapidly spawning large batches of broodlings. Used as living ammunition, the brood lord supercharges the broodlings' aggression and metabolism in combat, turning them into short-lived, but very effective air-to-ground weapons, capable of tearing through personal armor and vehicular plating with ease. The broodlings themselves also regulate some of the brood lord's biological functions.
- For StarCraft gameplay information see: Broodling (StarCraft).
- For StarCraft II gameplay information see: Broodling (StarCraft II).
Heroes of the StormEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Underwood, Peter, Bill Roper, Chris Metzen and Jeffrey Vaughn. StarCraft (Manual). Irvine, Calif.: Blizzard Entertainment, 1998.
- ↑ Brood Lord, accessed on 2011-01-18
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Broodling. StarCraft Compendium. Accessed on 2008-02-07
- ↑ 2015-01-16, Brood Lord Science. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2015-01-20
- ↑ Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. (Activision Blizzard) (in English). July 27, 2010
- ↑ Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm. (Activision Blizzard). PC. Kerrigan's abilities and status (in English). 2013.
- ↑ 2014, Zagara. Heroes Nexus, accessed on 2014-06-27