Effective health (EH) is the practical health of a unit after attack and defense modifiers are considered. It may be calculated as follows:
- hinit is the unit's health before attack and defense modifiers are applied
- dinit is the attack's damage before attack and defense modifiers are applied
- dmod is the attack's damage after attack and defense modifiers are applied
Or in English: Effective health is (old health) times (old damage) divided by (new damage).
dmod is the determinate. Attack bonuses increase dmod and decrease effective health. Attack penalties, such as defensive armor, decrease dmod and increases effective health.
Effective health may be expressed as a percentage of base health:
Or in English: % is (effective health) divided by (old health).
Damage Modifiers in StarCraft II Edit
In StarCraft II, dmod is calculated by factoring in the following attributes in the given order:
- Attacker damage tech upgrades.
- Defender shield tech upgrades, if shield strength is greater than 0.
- Defender armor tech upgrades, if shield strength is 0 (as with all terran/zerg units, or protoss with shields down).
- Hardened shields.
- Guardian shield.