English is a West Germanic language that originated from the Anglo-Frisian dialects brought to Britain by Germanic settlers and Roman auxiliary troops from various parts of what is now northwest Germany and the Northern Netherlands. Over the course of history, it established itself as one of humanity's most prominent languages, spoken by billions across Earth. Given its spread, it is perhaps not surprising that when the United Powers League came to power in the twenty-third century, English was designated as the common language of the planet. The UPL banned other languages.
In the Koprulu Sector, the English language is sometimes referred to as "Terran". A few words and phrases have found their way into the language that do not originate from the twentieth and twenty-first centuries:
- Boscrap (analogous to "bullshit" or "bullcrap")
- Curve (seemingly the equivalent of "broad". Meant in a derogatory sense)
- Fekk(ing) (General curse word)
- Fekklehead (someone who is crazy/stupid)
- Flick (alternate term for "fornicate". Considered to be just as offensive.)
- Fog (alternate term for "confuse"; a person who is confused is "fogged")
- Fringe-squib (derogatory term for a Fringe Worlder)
- Habhead (derogatory term used to described someone addicted to the drug hab)
- Hot shot (slang term for Uranium-238 shots)
- Hydra (short term for hydralisk)
- Muta (short term for mutalisk)
- Panbrain (someone who has undergone neural resocialization, or is just plain stupid)
- Panbrained (past tense to describe neural resocialization, or a form of insanity)
- Rats (Dominion Marine Corps slang for rations)
- Resoc (shortened term for neural resocialization. Also used to describe someone who has undergone the process)
- Scan me (as in "read me" or "understand me")
- Slike (common derogatory term)
- Warp-rat (an individual who tends to warp engines)
- X-factor (marine shorthand for skilled snipers)
Alternate terms have emerged for keeping track of time, although the 21st century terms are still used. These include:
The list of authors can be seen in the page history of English language.
Wikipedia content was licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License prior to June 15, 2009 is. Wikipedia content from June 15, 2009, and StarCraft Wiki content, is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported).