This article concerns unit lore. You may be looking for:
- Terran ghost(src)
Psionic abilities, cloaking device, advanced special forces training
Ghosts were chosen from psychically-gifted individuals who were quarantined by the Terran Confederacy and trained from infancy to channel their psionic energies to augment their natural physical strength and endurance. Conscripts who successfully completed the Ghost Program's rigorous training and augmentations then served as commandos and assassins.
Ghosts are trained in target shooting, close-quarters combat (martial arts and possibly other techniques) and vehicular expertise. Ghosts are also trained to move quickly and are desensitized to combat; an example would be Sarah Kerrigan's training, who had a gun placed to her head by a guard and was ordered to kill the guard before he killed her. Kerrigan was subjected to this training at age twelve.
Ghosts were frequently tasked with locating targets and provide targeting for tactical nuclear strikes. Their reconnaissance role was aided by cybernetic enhancements to their eyes.
Ghosts have short life expectancies.
- Main article: Ghost controls
Ghosts are usually silent and are generally loners, in part due to other terrans being wary of their psionic abilities, in part due to their lack of memory of past events. This serves their masters well—the harder it is for ghosts to form relationships, the fewer distractions they have to deal with. Ghosts are expected to remain impassive and forbidden to use their mind-reading powers, but they sometimes accidentally pick up surface thoughts.
For the most part, ghosts are simply numbers or names. Under the Confederacy, all ghosts, regardless of whether they "graduated" or not, were assigned a standard number and/or agent number (an alpha-numeric code). The Dominion has retained this system. Few ghosts under the program have any memories of their former lives especially after memory wipes became standard operating procedure. Under the Confederacy, ghosts were unaware of their true names and while most ghosts retain knowledge of their names under the Dominion, their training emphasises that they should address each other by their alpha-numerics—a trait followed by Dominion soldiers as well.
All ghosts possess a personal file, though the contents are restricted.
Ghosts have the ability to read minds but generally do not have the ability to block thoughts; ghosts find each other very easy to read. Ghosts and weaker psychics can detect other sources of psionic power.
Ghosts channeled their psionic energies through their hostile environment suit, a specialized skinsuit laced with psi-sensitive artificial muscle fiber, to augment their physical capabilities. A cloaking device and requisite power supply were frequently issued as well; the device requires psionic energy as a component.
Some ghosts have demonstrated a wider variety of powers. For instance, Sarah Kerrigan and Nova have demonstrated the ability to damage opponents' brains to the point of death. Nova can even kill multiple opponents while leaving someone in the midst of the attack unharmed.
Devon Starke has demonstrated the ability to project his thoughts, as well as remote viewing and psychometry. He and some other ghosts have also demonstrated the ability to plant suicidal and homicidal urges into an opponent's mind.
Following the Fall of Tarsonis, the Terran Dominion also instituted changes. The Ghost Academy was moved to Ursa. Ghosts were portrayed as "superheroes" who served the Dominion. The Academy was "opened up" to make it seem more appealing. Students could even communicate with their parents before their impending memory wipe.
In addition to their previous abilities, ghosts were trained to combine psionics and technology to do things such as see through objects with heat vision. The powerful ghost Nova can use her hostile environment suit and psionic powers to greatly increase her speed and reflexes.
Project Gestalt, lasting from 2502 to 2503, utilized cross-species tissue transplants, specifically implanting protoss tissue into a ghost, converting him into a gestalt. However, the project was terminated by the protoss.
After the Brood War some ghosts were exposed to terrazine gas and jorium, substances known to drive genetic mutation in psychics. This was part of Project: Shadowblade. The results were "enhanced" ghosts known as spectres.
Other Faction PsychicsEdit
In addition to the hostile environment suit, ghosts have been known to wield the following weapons:
- AGR-14 rifle
- BOSUN FN92 rifle
- C-10 rifle
- C-20A rifle
- Combat knife
- E-11 lockdown device
- Tactical nuke launcher
- Torrent SR-8 shotgun
- For StarCraft gameplay information see: Ghost (StarCraft).
- For StarCraft in-game quotations see: StarCraft Ghost Quotations.
This article or section contains information about StarCraft: Ghost, which has been declared non-canon. Elements may be taken as 'flavor lore' however.
- For StarCraft: Ghost information see: Ghost (StarCraft: Ghost).
The player-character in the game was a ghost named Nova. Ghosts were also a playable 'class' in multiplayer.
- For StarCraft II gameplay information see: Ghost (StarCraft II).
- For StarCraft II in-game quotations see: StarCraft II Ghost Quotations.
- Main article: List of terran ghosts
The following is a list of important ghosts and trainees grouped by latest affiliation.
- Sarco Angelini
- Caleb (became a rogue spectre)
- Aal Cistler
- Andie Dessai
- Delta Emblock
- MacGregor Golding (Alpha Squadron, ex-Confederate)
- Jara (later became a rogue spectre)
- Karl (later became a rogue spectre)
- Dori Koogler
- Winlaleah Martine
- Obi Minaya
- Dylanna Okyl (later became a rogue spectre)
- Colin Phash (became a shadowguard)
- Sloan (later became a rogue spectre)
- Devon Starke (ex-Confederate ghost #24876)
- Nova Terra (Agent X41822N)
- Gabriel Tosh (became a rogue spectre)
- The Veteran
- Kath Toom (Agent X52735N, later became a rogue spectre)
- Lio Travski (later became a rogue AI)
- Atticus Carpenter (Fist of Redemption, ex-Confederate)
- Samir Duran (unknown race but poses as a terran, various factions, true allegiance to a "greater power")
- Gestalt Zero (protoss/terran hybrid, ex-Dominion)
- Ghost Brother (Church of Besainted Pelagius, ex-Confederaete)
- Sarah Kerrigan (Sons of Korhal, ex-Confederate ghost #24601)
- "Unholy" Tara ("Unholy" Tara's Stalkers, mercenary)
- Kare Vaessen (Alliance)
- Jenn the Vivacious (mercenary)
- Welke (Hale's Commandos)