Welcome to the Jungle is a mission for StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty.
The Second Great War gave Gabriel Tosh, an anti-Dominion spectre, the opportunity to acquire the materials needed to train more spectres. He hired Raynor's Raiders to mine jorium from Redstone III, and then to steal terrazine from protoss shrines on Bel'Shir. The shrines were guarded by the Tal'darim, a protoss religious movement.
Jim Raynor hoped to negotiate with the Tal'darim for some of the gas. However, the Tal'darim adamantly refused; the gas was a gift from the gods and not to be disturbed by the terrans. The Raiders, in turn, refused to give up and deployed goliaths for the operation. The protoss first attempted to interfere with the extraction process, but as the Raiders grew more successful, the Tal'darim moved to seal the shrines. Nonetheless, the Raiders managed to get away with seven canisters of terrazine.
- Main article: campaign quotations
Afterward, Matt Horner received a transmission from an unknown source, explaining that one of the terrazine's uses is to enhance ghosts into spectres and accusing Gabriel Tosh of being a threat to Raynor. Tosh admitted to being a spectre, but claimed the transmission came from the Terran Dominion in an attempt to divide them. Raynor agreed to let the matter pass, but wasn't sure if he could trust Tosh.
|The next article in this series is Breakout.|
|The next article in this series is Ghost of a Chance.|
Gameplay & Video WalkthroughEdit
The only way to harvest terrazine is to bring an SCV to each shrine. Harvesting time increases with difficulty. The SCV must return to the command center with the terrazine canister. The protoss attack harvesting SCVs mainly with air units; marines, medics and goliaths are the best escorts. SCVs must be escorted to the shrine and back.
Protoss counter-attacks grow stronger over time. Harvesting terrazine simultaneously from shrines in close proximity to each other may save time while limiting the size of the escort force.
The protoss attempt to seal shrines with probes preventing terrazine harvesting. The frequency of attempts increasing with difficulty. There are more shrines than required to meet the primary objective. Allowing some shrines to be sealed may save time.
Destroy the protoss base north of the starting area quickly to ease access to the rest of the map. This is important to earn the "It's So Easy" achievement. The main protoss base is on a ramp-accessible plateau to the far north. It is heavily defended by colossi, void rays and high templar. Destroying it is optional.
You can also automatically win the match if you completely wipe out the Protoss instead of harvesting any of the shrines. Matt Horner will comment how they could not stand up to their might and are now retreating.
Do not neglect base defenses. The protoss attack through the western ramp later in the game.
There are three protoss relics that may be collected.
|Welcome to the Jungle|
Complete all mission objectives on any difficulty
|Appetite for Destruction|
Prevent the protoss from destroying any SCVs on Normal difficulty or higher.
The achievement is a reference to an album by Guns N' Roses
|It's So Easy|
Prevent the protoss from capping a terrazine node in the mission on Hard difficulty
The achievement is a reference to a song by Guns N' Roses
|You'ze So Crazy!|
Destroy all protoss structures on normal difficulty or higher.
- A murloc marine is located in the far left-bottom of the map.
- A name of this mission "Welcome to the Jungle" is named after the song with same name "Welcome to the Jungle (1987)" by Guns N' Roses.
- The achievements of this mission is named after Guns N' Roses's first album (Appetite for Destruction) and some songs (It's So Easy, You're Crazy).
- The nexus of the protoss camp closest to Raynor's starting base has the Akilae Tribe decal attached to it, instead of the usual Tal'darim Standard. The nexii of the main Tal'darim base utilize the Tal'darim Standard correctly. The mission "Supernova" has a similar error.
- ↑ Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. (Activision Blizzard). PC. Mission: Wings of Liberty, The Devil's Playground (in English). 2010-07-27.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. (Activision Blizzard). PC. Mission: Wings of Liberty, Welcome to the Jungle (in English). 2010-07-27.