The locust is a unit spawned by the swarm host.
Locusts are short-lived, ferocious, parasitic symbiotes. Powerful for their size, they are spawned from the millions of larvae that inhabit the swarm host's bloodstream. When the swarm host is threatened or engaged in combat, subtle chemical signals instruct the larvae to head for its incubator, where they are evolved into locusts.
Originally, locusts attacked any nearby enemy with volleys of acidic saliva. Since evolving pressurized air glands, locusts can attack aerial targets, and have developed the ability to fly themselves.
Swoop: allows locusts spawned by swarm hosts to fly. Flying locusts can use Swoop. Legacy of the Void only.
Locusts spawn 20% faster.
Locust production inefficient. Will greatly benefit from redundancy removal. Sequences are complex, wasteful. Byproduct of wild, uncontrolled evolution. Simplification of sequences will allow swarm hosts to incubate full-grown locusts at rapid speeds.
Locusts can attack both ground and air units.
Swarm host defense reliant on locust organism. Locust secrets solvent fluids, projectiles towards enemy. Can mutate glands, increase pressure. Will allow projectile to reach incredible height. Attack both ground and aerial targets.
Heart of the Swarm Campaign
Legacy of the Void
This article or section contains information from StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void.
The content may change substantially over time.
In Legacy of the Void, locusts can be spawned every 60 seconds. Spawning locusts is no longer auto-cast, and no longer requires the swarm host to be burrowed.
The flying locust upgrade allows locusts to land at a targeted location, allowing them to attack.
A variant locust portrait is available to zerg players via Heart of the Swarm's leveling system. It is unlocked at level 11.
Locusts used to be able to target air units.
Special Locust Strains
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 2015-03-31, StarCraft II Legacy of the Void Beta Release Patch Notes. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2015-04-03
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2014-12-04, Swarm Host Science. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2014-12-06
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Swarm Host, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2014-01-08
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 2015-09-18, NYCC 2015 – James Waugh’s StarCraft Field Manual Signing Schedule. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2015-09-23
- ↑ Blizzard Entertainment. 2015-04-07. Heart of the Swarm Balance Update -- April 9, 2015. Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed 2015-05-11.
- ↑ 2015-03-31, StarCraft II Legacy of the Void Beta Release Patch Notes. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2015-04-03
- ↑ 2011-10-27, BlizzCon 2011: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm – Units and Abilities. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2011-11-06