The nexus is the heart of a protoss base.
The nexus is a mammoth, pyramidal structure that looms over each and every protoss settlement. It serves as a psychic anchor, allowing the protoss to access the psionic matrix from even across the galaxy. The nexus also manufactures probes and has a processing center for minerals and vespene gas.
Khaydarin crystals are located within each nexus. They can be used as a defensive measure when the psionic matrix is supercharged by a mothership core. In turn, each nexus is linked to these cores through its khaydarin crystals, and can serve as a warp beacon to initiate recall. A nexus can also produce a burst of energy that creates a chronal distortion field, briefly accelerating the production of a single structure.
The nexus serves as the hub of any protoss base. Unlike most other protoss buildings it can be warped in without a pylon. It constructs probes and serves as a processing center for minerals and vespene gas.
- +1 armor bonus to shields per level for all units and structures.
Chrono Boost gives the player the choice of affecting the nexus, gateway, stargate, robotics facility or boosting upgrades at other structures—almost any building in the protoss base can be an option.
This ability increases the production speed of a structure by 50% for 20 seconds.
It has no effect on allied buildings and cannot be used on incomplete buildings.
- +1 armor to shields per level.
Heart of the SwarmEdit
In Heart of the Swarm, the mothership core uses this ability on a nexus, which gains a photon cannon-like weapon. The weapon has range 13, targets air and ground and deals 20 damage. The weapon lasts 60 seconds and has its own cooldown of 1.25.
The following section contains information from a previous version of StarCraft II which is no longer valid.
The nexus went through many small changes. As a primary structure, the scale was adjusted often, specifically the pyramid shape in the middle. The only significant overhaul was done with the intention of increasing the polycount on the curved surfaces around the structure.
A "nexus" is a term that refers to "a central or focal point," or "a connection or series of connections linking two or more things." This fits the nexus given its central role in the protoss tech tree.
- ↑ Underwood, Peter, Bill Roper, Chris Metzen and Jeffrey Vaughn. StarCraft (Manual). Irvine, Calif.: Blizzard Entertainment, 1998.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Barba, Rick. StarCraft Field Manual (hardcover). Insight Editions, November 17, 2015.
- ↑ 2014-11-20, Mothership Core Science. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2014-11-26
- ↑ 2017-06-29, StarCraft: Remastered Arrives August 14. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2017-07-01
- ↑ Klear, StarCraft 1 beta. StarCraft Wire. Accessed on 2009-07-13
- ↑ 2015-08-20, Legacy of the Void Beta Patch 2.5.5. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2015-09-03
- ↑ CoTweet. 2010-02-08. The #StarCraft2 protoss core macro ability has moved to the nexus. #SCUpdate. Twitter (StarCraft). Accessed 2010-02-08.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 2015-09-03, Legacy of the Void Beta Balance Update -- September 3, 2015. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2015-09-06
- ↑ 2015-10-02, Legacy of the Void Beta Balance Update -- October 2, 2015. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2015-10-03
- ↑ 2015-09-17, Legacy of the Void Beta Balance Update -- September 17, 2015. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2015-09-30
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 2016-01-29, Legacy of the Void Balance Update -- January 29, 2016. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2016-01-30
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Aldrexus. 2012-09-28. Balance Update #4 (9/28/2012). Heart of the Swarm Beta Discussion. Accessed 2012-09-30.
- ↑ 2015-05-14, Legacy of the Void Beta Balance Update -- May 14, 2015. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2015-05-20
- ↑ 2011, SC2: Protoss Nexus. Deviantart, accessed on 2011-02-19