The nexus is the heart of a protoss base.
The nexus is a mammoth, pyramidal structure that looms over each and every protoss settlement. It serves as a psychic anchor, allowing the protoss to access the psionic matrix from even across the galaxy. The nexus also manufactures probes and has a processing center for minerals and vespene gas.
Khaydarin crystals are located within each nexus. They can be used as a defensive measure when the psionic matrix is supercharged by a mothership core. In turn, each nexus is linked to these cores through its khaydarin crystals, and can serve as a warp beacon to initiate recall. A nexus can also produce a burst of energy that creates a chronal distortion field, briefly accelerating the production of a single structure.
The nexus serves as the hub of any protoss base. Unlike most other protoss buildings it can be warped in without a pylon. It constructs probes and serves as a processing center for minerals and vespene gas.
- +1 armor bonus to shields per level for all units and structures.
Chrono Boost gives the player the choice of affecting the nexus, gateway, stargate, robotics facility or boosting upgrades at other structures—almost any building in the protoss base can be an option.
In Patch 4.0, the nexus was given the mass recall ability, allowing it to teleport all of the players unit to a target nexus. This ability has a global 130 second cooldown across all nexii.
This ability increases the production speed of a structure by 100% for 10 seconds.
It has no effect on allied buildings and cannot be used on incomplete buildings.
Recalls all allied units in the target area (6.5 radius) to the Nexus.
The cooldown for this ability is global for all Nexuses. Does not share a cooldown with the mothership Strategic Recall ability.
- +1 armor to shields per level.
Heart of the SwarmEdit
In Heart of the Swarm, the mothership core uses this ability on a nexus, which gains a photon cannon-like weapon. The weapon has range 13, targets air and ground and deals 20 damage. The weapon lasts 60 seconds and has its own cooldown of 1.25.
The following section contains information from a previous version of StarCraft II which is no longer valid.
The nexus went through many small changes. As a primary structure, the scale was adjusted often, specifically the pyramid shape in the middle. The only significant overhaul was done with the intention of increasing the polycount on the curved surfaces around the structure.
The nexus will undergo a redesign in an upcoming patch to account for the removal of the mothership core. Its chrono boost ability will be redesigned, it will gain the mass recall ability, and gain a shield boost ability. It will start with 50 energy as opposed to the current 0.
- A "nexus" is a term that refers to "a central or focal point," or "a connection or series of connections linking two or more things." This fits the nexus given its central role in the protoss tech tree.
- The Nexus is the name of the primary setting of Heroes of the Storm. Its shared name with the protoss nexus is brought up by Jim Raynor in the game's tutorial.
- A nexus features in the Blizzard World map in Overwatch. The ride itself is called "The Nexus Experience."
- ↑ Underwood, Peter, Bill Roper, Chris Metzen and Jeffrey Vaughn. StarCraft (Manual). Irvine, Calif.: Blizzard Entertainment, 1998.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Barba, Rick. StarCraft Field Manual (hardcover). Insight Editions, November 17, 2015.
- ↑ 2014-11-20, Mothership Core Science. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2014-11-26
- ↑ 2017-06-29, StarCraft: Remastered Arrives August 14. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2017-07-01
- ↑ Klear, StarCraft 1 beta. StarCraft Wire. Accessed on 2009-07-13
- ↑ CoTweet. 2010-02-08. The #StarCraft2 protoss core macro ability has moved to the nexus. #SCUpdate. Twitter (StarCraft). Accessed 2010-02-08.
- ↑ 2015-09-17, Legacy of the Void Beta Balance Update -- September 17, 2015. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2015-09-30
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 2015-09-03, Legacy of the Void Beta Balance Update -- September 3, 2015. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2015-09-06
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 2016-01-29, Legacy of the Void Balance Update -- January 29, 2016. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2016-01-30
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Aldrexus. 2012-09-28. Balance Update #4 (9/28/2012). Heart of the Swarm Beta Discussion. Accessed 2012-09-30.
- ↑ 2015-05-14, Legacy of the Void Beta Balance Update -- May 14, 2015. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2015-05-20
- ↑ 2011, SC2: Protoss Nexus. Deviantart, accessed on 2011-02-19
- ↑ 2017-08-17, StarCraft II Multiplayer - Major Design Changes. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2017-08-20