Saalok appears to possess a breathable atmosphere, and is unique in that it is an almost mathematically perfect sphere, a property no other world possesses to the knowledge of the protoss. Throughout their history, the protoss have revered Saalok, some believing it was "placed" there. The moon's perfect symmetry inspired the creation of the Zealous Round, the symbol of the Zealot Order.
Some time after Kerrigan's de-infestation at Char, an executor intended to reconquer Aiur, first sending a scouting expedition to Saalok. The moon's zerg colony was missing flying breeds. Teredal, a scarred zealot, and other protoss participated. Only Teredal survived the onslaught, but he managed to relay evidence that the zerg were controlled by an intelligence and were not feral before dying. The executor, receiving the message, called off the attack.
During the Reclamation of Aiur, Saalok had possibly been cleared of its zerg infestation upon or before the arrival of the Golden Armada, which allowed Hierarch Artanis to teleport down to its surface and ponder the wisdom of their invasion and whether it was worth the cost. Kaldalis eventually came to retrieve him, and the two old friends began to debate the issue until the zealot managed to convince his leader that retaking Aiur was indeed worthy of whatever sacrifices needed to be made, to secure a future for all protoss and imploring Artanis to lead them home, before finally taking his leave. Artanis took one last contemplative look at Aiur, before departing as well.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Dayton, Cameron. "Cold Symmetry." (March 7, 2013). Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft Lore: Cold Symmetry Accessed 2013-03-07.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Blizzard Entertainment. 2010-07-24. Koprulu Sector Systems: Aiur. Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed 2010-07-24.
- ↑ Golden, Christie (May 22, 2007). StarCraft: The Dark Templar Saga #1: Firstborn. Simon & Schuster (Pocket Star). ISBN 978-0-7434-7125-1.
- ↑ 2015-9-25, StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void - Reclamation. Battle.net, accessed on 2015-9-25
- ↑ June, 2012, Game Trade Magazine #148. Game Trade Magazine, accessed on 2012-06-09