Space platforms are terran structures designed for use in both geostationary orbit and deep space and have a variety of functions, including staging areas, supply depots and habitation. Space platforms come with their own gravity accelerators, though at least some terran units (such as the siege tank) are also equipped with on-board gravity generators, in case of a power failure on the platform itself.
Alien space platforms also exist. The protoss are one such species that has their own version of orbital space platforms, as are the xel'naga, who equipped at least one of their space platforms with rip fields.
At some point, strange symbols appeared on space platforms located at the edges of known space, bearing similarities to symbols found on Earth that were often theorized to have been created by alien spacecraft. Teams of scientists were dispatched in an attempt to finally learn whether these symbols were due to simple plasma induced phenomenon or intelligently controlled formations with universal teaching.
- Main article: Space platforms
- Avernus Station (HQ of spectre revolt)
- Castanar installation (site of hybrid research)
- Char Aleph (major zerg staging post)
- Dylarian Shipyards (major terran fleetyards)
- Gehenna Station (mobile battle station)
- Gemini Station ("a revolutionary step in space platform architecture")
- Megalopolis (humanity's first "space city" in the Koprulu Sector)
- Sutur V platform
- New Trinidad platforms
- Nova Station (former headquarters of Nova Squadron)
- Space Station Prometheus (secret Moebius Foundation lab)