Scenarios are generally either melee or Use Map Settings (UMS) games. Melee games start all players at a random location with only their main base building (command center, hatchery, or nexus) and four mining units. This is the most popular type of game, used in tournaments and ladder games.
Use Map SettingsEdit
Use Map Settings maps are suitable for single player missions, especially with the use of triggers. The resulting user-made content has been substantial.
Use Map Settings games are less structured and often incorporate liberal use of specialized triggers and setups to change gameplay. Scenarios based on 'genres' have surfaced, including Defense maps, Diplomacy maps and RPGs.
While distributing work created by StarEdit is permitted, distributing it for profit without prior agreement with Blizzard Entertainment is illegal, as in the case of the unauthorized third-party add-on StarCraft: Stellar Forces. The authorized third-party add-ons StarCraft: Insurrection and StarCraft: Retribution were released commercially but were met with criticism and did not sell well.
Improved editors have been released by third-parties seeking to remove limitations of StarEdit or add new capabilities. Many of these editors are coded from scratch. Examples of these editors include:
- StarCraft X-tra Editor
Many of these editors include unused units, such as Aldaris, Arcturus Mengsk, Gerard DuGalle and Raszagal, color changing of factions, teleportation, improperly placed buildings and doodads, 255 upgrades, neutral units and much more.
The list of authors can be seen in the page history of StarCraft Campaign Editor.
Wikipedia content was licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License prior to June 15, 2009 is. Wikipedia content from June 15, 2009, and StarCraft Wiki content, is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported).
- ↑ 2017-06-30, StarCraft Remastered devs unveil price, explain how much is being rebuilt. Ars Technica, accessed on 2017-07-01
- ↑ 2006-08-01. The World of Diplomacy. Accessed 2006-08-20
- ↑ Microstar. "IGN."
- ↑ Kasavin, Greg. 1998-08-26. Insurrection: Campaigns for Starcraft. Gamespot. Accessed 2006-09-20.
- ↑ Retribution: Authorized Add-on for StarCraft. GameGenie. Accessed 2007-08-03
- StarEdit Utilities - An exhaustive resource of StarEdit Utilities and add-ons.
- StarCraft Map Makers Guild (SCMMG) - A well known and revered StarCraft map maker's community.
- Starcraft.org - Official Blizzard fansite and large custom map repository.
- Campaign Creations - A long-running SC campaign site, home to some of the most popular and highest quality StarCraft and Brood War campaigns.
- StarEdit Tutorial