Virophages are planted by infestors. The virophages are usually placed near terran barracks, colonies, or other population centers. Virophages can plant their own creep, and can thus even exist on space platforms. The virophages spew parasitic bio-toxins that include the hyper-evolutionary virus. The toxins infect nearby terrans quickly, turning them into mindless slaves.
Zerg forces infested the planet of Haven and the colonists on the planet, using virophages to begin infesting their homes. Jim Raynor opted to purge the virophages rather than the Daelaam under Selendis in an attempt to save as many colonists as possible. Raynor helped stem the spread of new virophages while destroying those that had been implanted.
Later in the Second Great War, Sarah Kerrigan and Alexei Stukov invaded Skygeirr Station. Kerrigan's zerg took control of the garrisons there and created virophages around them, infesting the personnel within and using them against the remaining defenders.
During the End War, a virophage appeared on a fringe Terran Dominion colony and began spreading infestation. However, it would only surface at night. Lieutenant Rosa Morales asked allied commanders to destroy the virophage while stemming the infestation.
Wings of LibertyEdit
Heart of the SwarmEdit
Virophages appear in the mission "Infested," and can be placed near beacons by infestors in order to spawn waves of infested terrans that move against defenses when the platform's gas is not active. During the gas phase, attack waves will be sent against the virophages, but they can be replanted if destroyed.
A virophage appears as the bonus objective on the Co-op Missions map "Dead of Night." It spawns in one of the clusters of infested structures, has high health, and will spawn volatile infested to defend itself. Against air units, it will spray disabling clouds that deal damage and prevent air units inside from attacking
Left 2 DieEdit
- ↑ Barba, Rick. StarCraft Field Manual (hardcover). Insight Editions, November 17, 2015.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. (Activision Blizzard). PC. Mission: Wings of Liberty, Left 2 Die (in English). 2011-04-06.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. (Activision Blizzard). PC. Mission: Wings of Liberty, Haven's Fall (in English). 2010-07-27.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Blizzard Entertainment. StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm. (Activision Blizzard). PC. Mission: Heart of the Swarm, Infested (in English). 2013-03-12.
- ↑ 2017-03-01. Preview: Dead of Night. Youtube. Accessed 2017-03-01.